A merchant ship dating from c.300 B.C., raised from the sea bed of the Mediterranean near Kyrenia Castle. Recovered by marine archeologists between 1967-69, the ship is probably the earliest trading vessel yet discovered. The museum also contains the original cargo and equipment from the ancient ship. The ship is 15m in length and made of Aleppo pine. The wooden surface of the ship is coated with a strong lacquer to protect it against Mediterranean wood-boring maggot. The number of kitchen utensils, wooden spoons, olive oil bottles, glasses and saltcellars show that the ship's crew was only four persons.

The ship exhibited in the castle of Girne was built in 389 B.C. and was about 80 years old when it sunk. Four hundred amphoras, 29 basalt millstones and 9000 almonds were found in the wreck. About 300 lead weights show that the ship was also used for fishing. The wreck was found by a sponge fisherman in 1965 about 1.5 km off Kyrenia, at depth of 18 m. It was salvaged by marine archaeologists from Pennsylvania University.
Dervish Pasha Mansion

          Dervish Pasha Mansion was constructed in the late of 18th century and its name comes from its owner Dervish Pasha. The mansion has two floors which the ground floor is made of stones and the first floor is made of bricks. The first floor was used as a resident but the ground floor was a store. The mansion was lack of care for long time until it was restored by 1988. After restoration the mansion has been transformed to a museum and opened to public visit in the early 1989.
Mevlevi Tekke Museum

          Mevlevi Tekke Museum was built about in the late of 16th century by Arab Ahmet Pasha after the island was captured by Ottoman Empire in 1571. Between 16th century and 1920 the building was used as a lodge until lodges were prohibited by Mustafa Kemal Ataturk. It was used for the religious purposes until its last sheikh was died in 1955 and the building was converted into a museum because of its aesthetic and historical worth.
Selimiye Mosque

          The remarkable narthex, when its sculptured panels of Pentelic marble, remains as it was when built by Arc Bishop John de Polo in 1326. The construction of this magnificent building was started in 1209 and was partially completed by 1326. Precisely in the middle of Nicosia stands its noblest and most arresting monument, Selimiye Mosque, once the cathedral of the Lusignan kings and now the chief mosque of North Cyprus.

A product of the best French work of the thirteenth century, harmonious in its proportions and beautiful in its ornament, this glorious building dominates not only the town but the entire vicinity, while its twin minarets, rising slender and graceful from two unfinished Gothic towers, embody in this combination the very essence of the Latin East and with the inclusion of the minarets, the Ottoman architecture. It is strongly advised that visitors take the opportunity to visit this masterplace.
Bedesten (Old Market Place)

          The building was constructed in the 12th century as a Byzantine church (The St. Nicholas Church). It was later enlarged by some Gothic annexes built by the Lusignans. After some more changes in the Venetian period, the building with its different architectural styles is of a hybrid nature in the Ottoman period, it served as a depot and a market where mostly textile products were sold. The masonry on its northern entrance resembles the masonry on the entrance of the St. Sophia Cathedral.
Nicosia City Walls and the Gates

          The Nicosia City Walls was constructed by Venetians in 1567 in order to fortify the city defence against the Turkish attacks and the walls cover all the city center. The walls were just like bridges between three big gates "Kyrenia Gate", "Famagusta Gate", "Paphos Gate" which were the only ways for connection and transportation from/to city. Venetians demolished the houses, churches and other constructions around the city and they used stones of those constructions in order to build the walls. The city was conquered by the Ottomans though because Venetians had not enough time to complete the construction of walls.
Buyuk Han (The Great Inn)

          The Great Inn is known to has been built by the first Turkish governer appointed to Cyprus, commander Muzaffer Pasha in 1573. Architects used the materials of different ruins and old structures in Cyprus for the construction of the inn. The rooms in the ground floor were being used for shopping, catering and entertainment while the upper floor was being used for accommodation and resting place. The Great Inn differs from its similars in Anatolia because of its two entrances.
Kumarcilar Han (The Gambler's Inn)

          This hybrid Ottoman structure was built approximately in the late of 17th century. The arch at the entrance of building was supposed to be moved from another structure because of its Gothic architecture style. The inn has a rectangular shape, it consists of two floors. The ground floor was being used to keep the animals and goods that traders have and the upper stair was being used for accommodation just like the Great Inn.

Copyrights © 2017 Bellapais Rent A Car — North Cyprus Rent A Car, Airport Transfers and Car Hire Services. Designed & Programmed by RikaSoft